Friday, December 4, 2009

Thank you

A friend of mine grumbled and told me this afternoon about how ungrateful other classmates have been to her as the class captain. People always treat her badly, both classmates and lecturers, by complaining at her about everything; especially when it comes to class cancellation.

She never had a proper vote to be appointed as a class captain, but she has been acting like one from the beginning of the semester. I know it wasn’t her fault; she was just basically being nice and took the initiative. But it seems that nobody cares or even notices about it. Maybe that would explain why she talked to me.

There's one day, before heading back to my room, i saw her alone reading a short notice, the lecturer wrote the chemistry class has been canceled. I saw her trying to spread the news by texting everyone (yes, every single person!) who takes the class. It was intrigued me to ask her why and suggest her to put an announcement in a piece of paper instead. I thought it’s much more simple and costs no money. She bluntly refused the idea.

Truth be told.

She has been doing everything in her power to be a good captain but nobody appreciates it. I know she always sends texts to let others know about new handouts or subjects for the following day. Most of the time, I replied the texts to say 'Thank You' (for the info) since I’m kinda thankful person. I used to thank a lot, I don't know why. Even if I forget to text her back, I always thank her whenever I meet her at campus. Once she said to me, "Thanks for what? You already said that before" and so I thought she has no big deal about this 'Thank You' stuff.

Apparently I was wrong.

Deep down she wants her classmates to kindly reply her text and say 'Thank You'. She needs acknowledgments even though she rarely mentions it. She won’t ask for it, but she just wants you to be well-mannered. Well, hopefully her wish comes true. She deserves it, don't you think?

I can't help wondering though... How often do you say 'Thank You'? Do you thank your friends, even for a simple task? What about the waiters/waitresses? The parking attendants? The doorman? The housemaid? Tell me.

2 comments:

haziqrazab said...

a value people often take for granted..

thanx.. for reminding me.. =)

kiboi said...

top - u r most welcome